Thursday, December 9, 2010

International House of Pancakes

For my birthday my husband surprised me with a crepe pan. We had been talking about making crepes and I told him I needed a pan. He clearly listened! I am definitely not one to get offended about getting cooking things for my birthday. It only took a day or two for me to use it.

I think people don't make crepes much because they are intimidated by them. I mean, clearly, people like them. There are restaurants dedicated to them. At Disney, the crepe stand in EPCOT is always busy (and we always get them) yet how many people make them??

I found an easy recipe at Allrecipes.com, it got good reviews, so I figured I would give it a go. I did add some vanilla as some other people suggested. I would definitely only do this if they are dessert type crepes, and not savory. But seriously, it was easy! There is a saying I learned long long ago "“La premiere crepe est pour le chien." -- the 1st crepe is for the dog -- essentially that the 1st one is no good -- but I didn't even have that happen. Even the 1st was good. So, make some crepes!


Then, later that evening ....


I make potato pancakes (potato latkes). I had seen lots of posts and recipes about them since it's was Hanukkah last week. I won't pretend to know much about Hanukkah or about Kosher food, but I do know I like potato latkes. Just like the crepes these were pretty easy to make too. I searched the internet and found lots of recipes -- they were all the same. Grated potato (preferably Yukon Gold), egg, salt, pepper - I decided to add some garlic and rosemary. Well... it was suggested by an old friend who I worked with more than 10 years ago that HE wanted to make garlic rosemary pototo latkes. So, that's where the idea came from (thanks Serge!).


I used about 5 medium potatoes, 3 eggs (scrambled), some salt, some pepper,  2 large cloves of garlic and some dried rosemary. Fry in about 1/2" vegetable oil. It took about 2 minutes on each side. I served them with Daisy Light Sour cream. I LOVE sour cream, but try to get the light version. The Daisy Light is perfect. It doesn't taste bad like so many "light" sour creams - in fact - it tastes like real full fat sour cream. 






So, that was my night of international pancakes. Weird, but oh so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment