Monday, April 19, 2010

Occasionally Dining Out...

I realize the title of this blog is "No More Dining Out"... but yes, I admit that we do occasionally go out. But it's changed from what it used to be. 6 months ago, when I was tired, I simply grabbed the kids and went to the local mexican joint. We rarely did fast food - it helps to have a vegetarian - fast food joints aren't really veg friendly at all - but we would go to local places and chains, more often than not.

But, since I started this, it's changed - a lot. We are lucky if we go out once a week. Now, if I am tired and don't want to cook, I simply look in the fridge and see what can go in a skillet and sauteed or even make an omlet (which ends up being more of a scramble than an omelet, but that's another story).

However, on Saturday night my son had a friend over and I know kids like pizza. Sometimes it is just easier to order pizza. Let me tell you a story of the last time I got take out pizza....

After working and feeling kind of lethargic all day, we decided to go to a cheap chain pizza place. In retrospect, this was a very bad choice. It was heavy & greasy and (gosh, it turns my stomach now to even think about it) to be honest, it was kind of gross. I sat down to watch a movie with the family (Ponyo... which I never even saw the end of!).  To make a long story short, the pizza didn't sit well in my stomach (I don't know if it was coincidental or if it was the 'plague' that went around my place of employment). I am basically DONE with chain pizzas now.

So, back to my story about dining out...

I wanted to get pizza for the boys, but I didn't not want 'cheap chain' pizza. I decided on a place just a few blocks from Bloom, where I work, that coincidentally has the same thoughts towards local/organic that Bloom does - Roman Candle Pizza. Here's what I found on their  menu:

'At the Roman Candle you will find fresh, locally sourced and, when available, organic
ingredients. We are a neighborhood pizzeria driven by sustainable community involvement.'

Sounded great!!!

I have picky kids (but you knew that already) so I ordered 3 small pizzas. A cheese, a pepperoni (which I MEANT to get sausage) and the Animal Lovers (veggie). When I went to pick it up, I took my daughter, ran into a friends husband and chatted with him, dropped the pizzas in the car and then walked over to Bloom Bake Shop for some desserts for the kiddos.

It felt good. It felt like a community. So even though I wasn't cooking at home, I was contributing money to local restaurants, enjoying a great evening with my daughter and seeing people in my area. Oh yeah, and not eating overly greasy pizza that made me sick last time and really, it not good at all for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment