Sunday, April 25, 2010

Green Party

Today was my son's birthday party. We decided to be low key and have it at the house. Last year, he had a great party at a bowling alley, but that a lot. This year, it was at our home and he had a few kids over. A few weeks ago, I bought the disposable plates, silverware & cups for the party. Instead of buying plastic, I bought these, from Alice.com. The items are sustainable because they are made from corn starch or from cane sugar fiber! They are also compostable. Sadly, I don't have a composter yet - which I need. How cool would it have been to have thrown all the stuff into the compost?!

Anyway... for my sons cake - I made everything from scratch. I would I could share the recipes, but they were from Cooks Illustrated. They are a subscription service, which I totally recommend. I made a checkerboard cake which used the recipes of a fluffy yellow cake and a chocolate cake. The butter cream was my standard butter cream recipe that I mentioned a little while ago.

I must confess that I did use pre made fondant from Wilton. If I had had time, I would try making my own... I just didn't have the time. The decorations weren't really meant to be eaten -- the cake & the butter cream were the star of the show.

I as thrilled to use sustainable goods at the party & to make ALMOST all the cake from scratch!

No comments:

Post a Comment