Friday, May 7, 2010

El Diablo

My husband and I like spicy food.

No, really, we LOVE spicy food.

We also love Tortilla Soup.

On Wednesday this year, Cinco de Mayo, I had a grand plan to make some yummy cilantro lime tacos - even making the tortillas from scratch!! However,  back in January about my sweet little cat got sick. She's been holding her own, but this week did it again. She wasn't really that sick, just not eating much - which had us worried. We didn't get great news, but that's another post. My point is that my Cinco de Mayo was not a day of celebration. It stunk, actually.

So today, since I wasn't working, I had another grand plan. Make the tacos. But it was rainy. And it was cold. And it was a soup day. So I had a change of plans ... chicken tortilla soup. I had most of the ingredients. The only thing I didn't have seemed simple enough - chiles in adobo. I've seen them many times. Only today, I couldn't find them. I went to my friendly neighborhood store and all the "hispanic" goods consisted of endless jars of salsa, a few cans of enchilada sauce and a few cans of green chiles. Very disappointing. I found myself heading off to Whole Foods where I KNEW they would have them - and they did. They weren't exotic or organic or really unusual. Why didn't the store down the street have them?? Very annoying.

Anyway, so I had all my ingredients including the chiles. I was a little generous with the chiles. Perhaps a tad too generous. It was good. but it was also VERY spicy. Almost TOO much, which is a lot for me. But I liked it. It made eating it a challenge. We called it... El Diablo.

Also very filling since I needed 4 or 5 glasses of water to go along with it!

Want the recipe ?! It's a Cooks Illustrated recipe. I can't tell you how much I recommend subscribing if you are a dedicated home cook. But if you REALLY don't want to pay for it, here's someone who broke the rules and posted this yummy tortilla soup recipe. (oh, and I added corn. Both David and I felt it needed corn. I don't know why. It just did.)

No comments:

Post a Comment