Tuesday, May 4, 2010

No more cans!

... continuing with the story of having many people stay in my house, I decided to make a meal that that was easy, and I knew people liked. Of course, my vegetarian child wouldn't like it, but that's ok - he got a veggie burger. I opted for Sloppy Joes and Potato Salad. Nothing fancy by any means, but GOOD! The Sloppy Joes were from a recipe on Martha Stewart. Now sure how/why I found it, but it was from scratch - for the most part. It was pretty fast. It was VERY easy. It made me wonder why ANYONE would by sloppy joe stuff in a can. But that's just me, of course!

So, the side dish was potato salad. I have made it before but it was always missing something. I signed up for Cooks Illustrated a few months back, and their recipes are pretty tried and true. Like Hx mentioned before, their site is a pay site, but here's a link to Recipe Zaar that apparently has the same recipe I used. I did use red wine vinegar instead of white. It was SOOO good! Why in the world would I buy it from a deli. I am truly falling in love with cooking from scratch! I look forward to trying new receipes and seeing how great things are when they are made without using cans & premade stuff.

This summer I am growing some tomato varieties that are specific for making sauces. Can you guess what I am going to be making from scratch this summer???

No comments:

Post a Comment