Saturday, January 30, 2010

Catch Up

It's been a busy week and while I have been still cooking at home, I haven't posted about it. Some of my cooking has bee via a short cut. I went to Trader Joe's on Monday and picked up some Tokyo Style Soba Noodles. They were good -- different -- but good. It was funny that earlier last week my friend and I were e-mailing back and fourth about soba and how yummy they are. Then when I bought them, the cashier started up similar conversation about soba. I think what makes them so good is how light they are. Not nearly as dense as semolina pasta. I am not sure I would get the Trader Joe's soba again, but I am definitely getting more soba soon.

I also made my herb roasted carrots again. This time, I used local carrots. We belonged to a a CSA a few years ago that is out of Evansville, WI. It was called Tipi Farms and their signature product was carrots - and for good reason. They were great. When I was at Sentry I saw their carrots and immediately bought them. I cut them up and drizzled olive oil over along with some thyme and some kosher salt. The first one I had was good, but it didn't scream "YUM" to me. but then a minute later, I wanted another, and another and another. They were really good. Different that most carrots. They had a lot of flavor. Here's a picture of them roasting!

I have some good recipe ideas for the weekend. I am really looking forward to dinner tonight!!!

6 comments:

  1. Funny - I just made curry & cilantro carrots. I rarely cook carrots as a dish, just using them as ingredients. Well, I guess I do make roasted veggies quite a bit and use plenty of carrots...

    Tonight I'm making Spinach-Black Bean Lasagna , which has great reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update on the lasagna. Rob won't shutup about how delicious it is. He even made claims that it's the best lasagna he's ever tasted. He does have a short memory however... =) And guess what? It's super easy as far as lasagna goes - maybe 30 min of prep. I think The Boy might like it. Of course, it doesn't hurt that it includes a pound of cheese. wait, 2 lbs including the ricotta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe Rob and I should start our own blog and stop contaminating yours. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you should just become contributors. We can arrange that, you know. As for the lasagna, it's a contender. I own one vegetarian who doesn't like beans. Boy will he be shocked with the lentil crock pot stew I am making tomorrow! I do have most of the ingredients ... except the beans. I used some earlier this week to make a salsa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The beans are mashed... and they resemble refried beans - he might notice.
    With all the cooking I've been doing lately, maybe being a contributor would be useful (and kind of cool, but only if you're really OK with it).

    ReplyDelete