Saturday, January 16, 2010

Turkey Chili

One of my other reasons for this blog is also to have an online digital record of my recipes that I like. After only one day, I have already managed to lose a recipe! See, I ripped out a page out of the "Real Simple" magazine to take to the grocery store to get my ingredients. What did I lose already? The page I tore out. I will find it, but this simply illustrates another reason for this. I am the queen of disorganization. Normally, it doesn't impede me much, but it can. Many times when I try to organize I put things away and can't find them (isn't that the excuse of every disorganized person?). But I digress. So, now I am going to tell you this recipe from memory - which luckily is one of my strong points. It was taken from the same Feb 2010 Real Simple magazine the 1st meal came from. Again, 'A Month of Meals under 400 calories'.

Turkey Chili

1 or 2 onions, chopped
1 large green pepper
3 cloves of garlic
1lbs of lean ground turkey
cumin
vegetable broth
fresh ground pepper
1 can of diced tomatoes
2 cans of kidney beans
chili powder
Tabasco
light sour cream
cilantro


Chop the onions and green peppers and cook for about 5 mins, or until tender. Add the garlic. I used a garlic press, but the recipe did say chopped. Cook for another minute or 2. Add the turkey and brown for about 5 mins. Add the cumin. The recipe was a teaspoon or so, but again, put in how much you need. Chili is very subjective so once it's done, you'll need to modify it for your own tastes. Once the veggies and turkey are cooked add the tomatoes, chili powder, beans & water. The recipe called for water, but I learned a few years back, sometimes adding broth gives it a little kick. I used vegetable because that's what I had - you can use chicken or just water. Because I used broth, I didn't add any extra salt. If you add water, make sure to add a little kosher salt.

Mix everything up and simmer for about 15 mins. Once it's all warm and bubbly, start seasoning it. I added a few dashes of Tabasco as well as some more Hot Chili Powder from Penzey's. It still isn't that hot, but good enough.

Once it's simmered for awhile, serve with the low fat sour cream and cilantro. I like to add lots of cilantro and just a little sour cream.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment