Friday, January 15, 2010

Meal One - Honey Soy Glazed Salmon with Spinach & Peppers

Not a "cheap" meal, but good AND healthy. One of my secondary goals of this whole thing is to eat better - eat healthier. So, here's the 1st recipe. I made this last night. The Fish cost $12 for 4 servings so -- about $3/piece, plus the spinach & peppers were cheap. Each plate was probably $3.50/person including the stuff I had to buy, but can use for other recipes.
This recipe is from the current month of "Real Simple". It's part of their month of meals under 400 calories.

Honey Soy Glazed Salmon with Spinach & Peppers
Hands on time - 20 mins
total time - 20 mins
Serves 4

1 tbsp honey (I used a bit more)
3 tsp low sodium soy sauce (again, I used more)
1 salmon filet. ( I got 1 1/2 lb, they recommended a 1 1/4 lb)
Kosher Salt & Black Pepper
1 tbsp canola oil
1 red bell pepper
1 tbsp chopped ginger (I didn't measure, just used a good amount)
3 bunches spinach with stems removed
Toasted Sesame Seeds

Heat the broiler. While it heats, combine the honey & 1 tsp of the soy sauce ( or like I do, mix some honey & soy sauce - what ever amount you'd like).

Place the salmon on the broiler tray and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. Broil for 5 mins. Spoon the mixture over the salmon and broil until cooked completely. About 2-5 mins.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in large skillet over medium high heat. At the bell pepper and cook until just tender - about 3-4 mins. Add the ginger. Then add the spinach and 1/2 tsp salt (more or less) until just wilted. Add the remaining 2 tsp of soy sauce.

Serve the spinach/pepper mix with the salmon. Add sesame seeds on top of spinach and salmon before serving.

Yum!!

Should be around 350 cal. 15 g fat, 90 mg cholesterol, 725 mg sodium, 36 g protein, 10 g carbs, 6 g sugar , 3 g fiber, 4 mg iron and 119 mg cal. Of course, if you don't meaure - like me, this is all approximate!

3 comments:

  1. That's pretty darn healthy Babs - you're starting out well! So the kidlets are picky but they'll eat a pound of spinach? It seems to me that soup/stew is a good way to extend those budget dollars, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds absolutely WONDERFUL, Barbara! I am definitely making it the next time salmon goes on sale!!!!

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, I didn't say that the kids ate it. They had their own food. If I ALWAYS made food everyone would eat, it would be pasta pretty much every night and I would quickly grow tired (not to mention bloated) by that.

    And yes, soups and stews are a great idea! Look for my next recipe (which I already made)!!

    ReplyDelete