Monday, January 25, 2010

No, it's *not* GOOOOODA...




...it's "How-da". This is what snapped at the kids today at Trader Joe's. I am pretty sure some random guy in there thought I was insane. Either that or just plain stupid.

See, my mother in law is from Holland, the motherland of such cheeses like Edam and Gouda. Now, I must tell you everyone says "Gouda" wrong. It's not Goo-da. It's How-da. After 15 years of hearing How-da (and you have to say it real throaty, almost like there's crud in your throat) it's not 'goo-da', it's 'how-da'.

I made a trek to Trader Joes today for some good eats. I knew they had cheese - cheap, so I headed there with a recipe in mind. I was going to make Gouda Macaroni & Cheese. (did you say goo-da when you read that?). They had what I needed - spinach, gouda, & more parm (I always have a block of parm, who knows when you might need it, right?). They didn't however have elbow macaroni!!! I did have to go to another store. They had lots of other pastas which I could have of course used, but I wanted tradition.

I got this recipe recommended from my friend Heather. I think she used smoked Gouda. I went with a non smoked variety. I am actually not a huge fan of smoked gouda. I think it takes away from the flavor (sorry, I am in Wisconsin. Cheese is everywhere. Where else do you find stores that specialize ONLY in cheese? I over analyze my cheese).

The only thing I can say about this is that it was fantastic. I loved it. I didn't chop my spinach because it was baby spinach and I know how the leaves wilt to be very tiny when cooked. I also didn't measure the cheese. I don't measure unless I have to. So please, make this. And please don't say 'goo-da'.














Smoked Gouda Macaroni and Cheese

Cooking Light

Ingredients

  • 1 (1-ounce) slice whole wheat bread
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups fat-free milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded smoked Gouda cheese
  • 1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
  • 5 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
  • 4 cups hot cooked elbow macaroni (about 2 cups uncooked)
  • Cooking spray

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°.

Place bread in a food processor, and pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1/2 cup.

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook 1 minute. Add flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, salt, and pepper, stirring constantly with a whisk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook until thick (about 2 minutes). Add cheeses; stir until melted.

Add spinach and macaroni to cheese sauce, stirring until well blended. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until bubbly.

Nutritional Information

Calories:
399 (25% from fat)
Fat:
10.9g (sat 6.2g,mono 3g,poly 0.8g)
Protein:
20.1g
Carbohydrate:
54.9g
Fiber:
3.7g
Cholesterol:
33mg
Iron:
3.6mg
Sodium:
725mg
Calcium:
421mg
Cooking Light, MARCH 2003

1 comment:

  1. I never say Goo-dah anymore thanks to you. =) I had the leftovers for lunch and it smelled up the whole place with cheesy goodness. I made Ecuadorian potato soup tonight - it was different but tasty. http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1696600

    ReplyDelete