Saturday, January 30, 2010

I love Peanut Sauce


But unfortunately, not everyone in my family loves it. Seriously, cover just about anything in peanut sauce and I will eat it. I love it.

I am making an effort to cook vegetarian meals this weekend so we all can eat the same thing. I thought this would be perfect. My son loves peanut butter. He should love peanut sauce right? No. This didn't pass the test with him. Oh well, we'll try something else.

I liked it. It could have been a little better. I improvised a lot. I used a recipe I found using my Dinner Spinner App on my iPod Touch. It's a great App. I haven't used it tons, but I did find this gem. It also works better if you have a phone, so when you are at the grocery store that doesn't have Wi Fi, you can find your ingredients. Not that this has happened to me or anything...

So this is the recipe I based my meal on - Peanut Noodles at Allrecipes.com . I improvised by using Ketjep Manis instead of soy sauce. I also used Sambel Oelek instead of red pepper flakes. Both are Indonesian seasonings that I use when I make Indonesian food - which has a dutch influence (see my previous post about Gouda for why I cook dutch food). I also used a little more peanut butter. This might be why it wasn't as good. It was a thick sauce. I should have used more water or ketjep to help make it thinner. Also... I added more veggies - broccoli, onions, snow peas. For the pasta, I used an organic whole wheat pasta that I bought at Costco. I have 7 packages of this pasta now, so you can expect to see it often.

It wasn't incredible, but it was decent. My son had expressed doubts in my creations, so I reserved some pasta and some veggies without sauce for just such an occasion - which was needed.

2 comments:

  1. I love peanut sauce. I love soba noodles. There are people allergic to peanuts, which must really suck. There's a reason you don't hear about brussels sprouts allergies...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! One of Blake's friends is allergic to just about everything. They are Indian and eat lots of vegetarian stuff and she was thrilled to have him over to cook for - since their son has to eat his protein through meat. Most of the stuff in their diet, their son can't eat. I was thinking of that kid tonight as I made this.

    ReplyDelete