Sunday, March 21, 2010

Gobble-ing Down the Turkey Meatloaf

I think that I've made meatloaf once... and it was a *long* time ago. I'm sure it was fine. My mom always makes really delicious meatloaf -- it's topped with bacon afterall. So seeing as how I've been a pretty healthy cook, there was no reason to try and top mom's ridiculously tasty, although maybe not-as-healthy, recipe. Why ruin that happy memory?

Since I am now with a man who appreciates a good meatloaf every now and then (especially after a hard day of skiing, poor boy), I decided to venture out and try a healthier version of my mom's. The portion in the photo is clearly mine (skiers need larger helpings). I haven't eaten meatloaf in quite awhile since I now cook do most, if not all, of the cooking for mom whenever we're together, but this version was really good. I'll make it again. Let's just say that I think that Mom would love it.

Mom's Turkey Meatloaf from Ellie's Krieger's book The Food You Crave. I recently borrowed this book from the library because it's won two of the biggest cookbook awards - both the James Beard and IACP for 2009. Impressive. I admit to only having watched her on Food Network just once, but I've been intrigued by her healthy cooking and down-to-earth personality for quite some time. I also appreciate that each recipe includes nutritional information.

No comments:

Post a Comment