Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Local Food Rocks!

As I have mentioned in earlier posts, Tuesdays  are busy evenings. It used to be easier to just grab something quick after my daughters dance or in between my son's swimming. Since January, we have not done this, of course. I am always looking for quick good meals for Tuesdays.

Today I had my 1st Tuesday off in a few months  - which I needed after being scheduled for 6 days straight. And I say scheduled because I was supposed to work on Saturday but my stomach didn't really agree with that idea, so I couldn't work, so I didn't work, but it wasn't really a day "off".

...so anyway, today I was running some errands. I decided to go to Whole Foods for the 1st time in a long, long time.  My main reasoning for going there was to get some soba noodles. I looked at Trader Joes - nope. Unless I wanted the Tokyo Style Soba noodles that I wasn't incredibly fond of. Local grocery  - both Copps & Sentry - nope. Whole Foods was my last hope & it came through! But this post isn't about soba - soba is definitely not usually local. This is about pasta. 


I went there thinking I would grab some pasta sauce for dinner tonight since I was planning on having pasta for dinner, but then I stumbled upon something I hadn't had in a long, long time. RP's Pasta
I decided on a Tri Color 4 Cheese Ravioli.  Rather than smother it in sauce, I decided to just coat it with a little olive oil and fresh Parm. I was out of parm, so I picked some up at Whole, and surprise! It was Wisconsin Cheese! Hooray! More local food.

I served it with some demi baguette & butter. Voila!  A fancy, super easy dinner. The nice thing about fresh pasta is the super fast cooking time. 4-5 mins in the boiling water. It takes longer waiting for it to boil!



Perhaps not cheap, but broken down by the serving it's still much less expensive than going out to dinner. It probably broke down to about $3/ serving.
Yes, it was as good as it looks.

I hope to pick up more RP's more frequently. It's a little less straight from the source. The farmers market sells it for a very reasonable price. I am thinking this summer I may need to buy quite a few at a time to keep stocked.

1 comment: