Monday, March 8, 2010

I Want Chicken Tonight, Chicken Tonight

7 times out of 10, when I ask Rob what he wants for dinner, he starts singing "I want chicken tonight, chicken tonight." Naturally, this is not very helpful, but then, neither are the other 3 times out of 10 when he says "orzo!" Sigh... one can make only so many orzo dishes. However, this ultimately means that I can make whatever I want, which is definitely helpful.



I don't make a lot of chicken. When I was living by myself as a first year grad student and as a new cook, I probably made chicken 30 different ways (mainly varying the 'sauce'). I sort of became sick and tired of chicken, unless it's roasted (pre-brined, of course) or drowning in sauce (as in chicken pot pie or enchiladas). Tonight I was haunted by a flashback - I had to make 'cooked chicken breasts'. So, unlike my younger attempts with chicken that lacked flavor depth, I decided to sear them in olive oil, encrusted with salt and pepper. Thankfully, that did the trick.

The meat is then is shredded for a southwestern style Chicken, Rice, and Black-Bean Salad from Everyday Food Magazine. Like Rachel Ray, Everyday Food recipes are hit and miss. This one, however, went above my fairly low expectations. Why? Well, how can any 'southwestern style' salad with black beans and tomatoes NOT include lime juice, cilantro or avocado. I had serious reservations. The only spice was cumin, and the only dressing was white wine vinegar and olive oil. Sounds positively boring. Plus, the plum tomatoes were not looking so hot - rather unripe (see photo). I was absolutely wrong - it was really really good and I haven't a clue as to why. I'll make this one again for sure.

2 comments:

  1. Ahem, Rob, I do believe the jingle goes "I *Feel* Like Chicken Tonight".

    But yes, I get the chicken thing. I was in a total rut making chicken the same way all the time. This sounds good - bad tomatoes and all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you don't have watch the dance that goes along with the jingle. Oy.

    ReplyDelete