Sunday, March 14, 2010

Oatmeal Muffins, Denver Style

The Colorado Cache Cookbook is one of the most notoriously famous Junior League cookbooks. It's sold over 1 million (!) copies and has 20 or so printings (and 5 editions) since it's inception in 1978. I own the 3rd edition, published in 1988. The 5th just came out in 2008, celebrating its 30th anniversary. I'm not sure what the real difference is between the editions -- I was actually perusing the latest edition today in a bookstore and they still have a 'microwaving' section, which seems a little outdated.

This is actually the first time I've ever cooked from this book. As I was scanning the recipes yesterday, I couldn't help but notice why I haven't used it yet... the reason kept popping out at me on every page... the recipes are not all that healthy. If you like (and who doesn't?) lots of dairy and saturated fat, then this is the book for you. No wonder everything is tasty and has high readership. I actually learned about the cookbook long before my arrival in Colorado. My old roomie, Jo, would make this very tasty artichoke dip for parties. My mom, a constant browser of thrift stores, found and gave me my copy for $6.95 (thanks mom!).

The recipe I finally settled on was Oatmeal Muffins. Muffins fit one of my favorite food categories: portability. They're great for breakfast grabbing - I like to eat my breakfast at work, so dragging something along to combine with my coffee or tea is perfect. I added the optional chopped dates to make it seem like these muffins belong in the 'healthy' category. Trust me, they don't. They're certainly tasty though.

No comments:

Post a Comment