Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I'd like to try this.

Have you seen this? The Real Food Challenge. I think it's a GREAT idea. But, gosh, I don't know if I could really do it. I know I could do a lot of them, but all? I honestly don't know. Here were the 28 Challenges.
  1. Ditch processed, packaged, refined foods.
  2. Choose wholesome, natural foods.
  3. Improve your grains.
  4. Start your sourdough.
  5. Sprout your grains.
  6. Mill your own sprouted flour or make wet-milled sprouted grain bread.
  7. Relax and evaluate.
  8. Fats for moderate and high heat.
  9. Fight against GMOs.
  10. Fats to eat raw.
  11. Bake your sourdough.
  12. Find real milk.
  13. Get your (good) bacteria.
  14. Relax, evaluate and eat some dark chocolate.
  15. What’s a SCOBY?
  16. Get cultured (veggies, that is).
  17. Make yogurt at home.
  18. Make cheese at home.
  19. Prepare nuts and seeds properly.
  20. Maximize the value of beans and legumes.
  21. Vegetables and salads and another reason to eat your fats.
  22. Why you should eat red meat.
  23. Eat your bacon, eggs and lard too.
  24. Homemade broth and stock.
  25. Not-so-awful Offal.
  26. Fish and seafood.
  27. Grow your foodshed.
  28. Beyond the challenge.
Most of these I have NO problem with. In fact, I was just thinking that I would like to start making sourdough and I would like to get a sourdough mother started. The items I have issues with?? Making yogurt. I hate yogurt. I guess MAYBE if I made it, I might eat it. But it's just something I don't like. What else? Making cheese. This, honestly, I got to leave to the professionals. We have so many good cheese makers here in my area. Perhaps if I was still in Florida or something, I wouldn't have a problem, but no way, I am not making cheese in Wisconsin! I am honestly a little skeptical of lard. Plus, with a vegetarian in the house, I'd rather not go there.

Other than that, I think it's doable. My favorite? #14. Of course, I am already doing that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment