Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Stuffed Peppers, Vegetarian Style

I remember when I was little my mom would make stuffed peppers. They were good. I don't remember TOO much about them, other than there was meat in them. In my neverending quest to find a GOOD vegetarian meal that all of us will like, I decided to give this a go. This recipe comes from our featured cook, Rachael Ray ( I PROMISE, no more RR recipes for a while - I can't commit for too long).  Tonight we have Southwestern Stuffed Peppers. The vegetarian likes rice, onions & green peppers, so I can't miss right? Well, luckily he liked it ok, my daughter not so much. (just thinking about this makes me want to rip my hair out!). I did make a few changes to the recipe. Mainly, I forgot the cilantro so we didn't have any. I didn't mention it to the others in the house, because they probably would have been angry about this. We are a cilantro lovin' house.

I did happen to have a little sour cream left over from my Salmon Pasta, so I added that on top. The boy doesn't like sour cream - I think it's because of the word "sour". I wouldn't touch it either when I was his age. But then I became enlightened to the fact that it's not sour, but is cream.

But I digress. I also added a little cheese. I had some Trader Joes shredded mozz, Monterrey Jack and cheddar blend, so I sprinkled it on top hoping to make it more appealing. Oh, finally, I added a little cumin when I cooked the onions. I think the only thing disappointing in this meal was the fact that it used a jar taco sauce. I think I would have liked it better if the seasonings we fresher - rather than from a jar. Perhaps using a Penzey's Taco blend or something might do the trick.

Overall,  we liked it.

Oh yeah, David added some Tobasco. Surprise?

One last fun fact from this meal. The kids really FINALLY realized that we are branching out and trying more things. Last night my son said "you sure are makings lots of fancy things. you've been making souffle's and all sorts of fancy stuff. ". I haven't made one souffle yet. Perhaps I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment