Thursday, March 18, 2010

Great Potatoes

So, I am seeing a pattern. It's not on purpose either. Hx and I seem to go to the same places for recipes at the same time. Tonight, I saw her recipe for Tofu and noticed it was from Cooks Illustrated. Last night, I tried a recipe from their special Light & Healthy Special Edition - a Scalloped Potatoes Recipe. I have to admit, I was very doubtful about this receipe. 2 cups of 2% milk? 3 tablespoons of light cream cheese. I didn't think it would be like real scalloped potatoes. Cooks Illustrated assured me that they tweaked this recipe to make it taste good, but be low in fat. 

I was wrong. It was pretty darn tasty. I will admit, it was good hot. I saved some for today for lunch. It was better. I will probably never use a box of "cheesy potatoes" again. It was that good, seriously.



Look how yummy and creamy that looks! That golden brown crust. I want more.

2 comments:

  1. Those do look delicious! I always use 1% or even 1/2% milk when I make my scalloped potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always used 2% too, but that's really most of what's making it creamy. Boxes have the extra "sauce" mix with cheese and probably some other dried stuff. The milk and small portion of cream cheese & parm did the whole thing. It honestly shocked me!

    ReplyDelete