Sunday, March 14, 2010

Pi Day!

It was pure cosmic circumstance that I happened to make pie today. I usually go grocery shopping on Sundays, after carefully deciding what recipes I want to make for the week (thanks Pam!). King Krappers didn't have black bean garlic sauce for the stir-fry dish. I forgot the dried chickpeas for the curry. Once home from the store I realized that I had the wrong kind of cornmeal for the creamy polenta - which I had planned to make tonight.



The only recipe left to make with the ingredients on hand was, thankfully, one of our favs: Spinach-Mushroom Pie. I've been making this pie ever since I started cooking. It includes a roux, which used to turn me into a cranky maniac if any unfortunate soul decided to interupt me while in the middle of this step. Nowadays, like tonight, I was chatting away at my mom on the phone as I whisked away at the roux, babbling about nutrition and food science (poor mom, she hates science-talk). Funny how things change.

So this recipe comes from one of my favorite cookbooks: The Not-Strictly Vegetarian Cookbook. My mom and I bought it together when she was gently pushing me to cook - it might have been my first cookbook. It worked. I love this book for a few reasons: I have never been a vegetarian, but these recipes inspired me to eat healthy, and it has a lovely red beet stain that leaked along many of its pages.

Happy Pi Day!

2 comments:

  1. Yum on the spinach mushroom pie. That would never go over in my house. One of the many reasons I need to return to Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really need to talk about this return visit you speak of. =)

    ReplyDelete