Sunday, March 28, 2010

I drove nearly 3000 miles and didn't go through a drive-thru

Remember my reason for starting this blog back in January? The trip? Well, it's over and done and this is a post about that trip. It's not a recipe post at all. If you are looking for one, move on. Hx has posted some yummy stuff in my absence.

This post is about not eating junk - while on vacation.

We drove all the way from Wisconsin to Florida. We did it in stages. Day 1 took us to Clarksville, TN. Day 2 took us to Atlanta and the Georgia Aquarium and spending the night in Macon (where our cars' wiring to the starter decided to die, but that's another post all together) and finally to Orlando Florida on Day 3. Driving down we packed LOTS of snacks for the kids, water, even milk (the Organic Valley boxed stuff that doesn't need to be refrigerated). We ate sandwiches instead of junk food.

Once we got to Disney we stayed at the Fort Wilderness Cabins. This is on the camp ground at Disney. I'll admit, I had never considered staying at the camp ground. People go to Disney to be pampered. But upon researching the cabins it offered everything we wanted. A room with a full bed for me and my husband, bunk beds for the kids and a full, regular murphy bed for my mom. We all had our own space. Did I mention it had a FULL working kitchen?? When we arrived on Monday evening we didn't dash for the food court or other Disney Dining options. Nope. We fired up the grill and had burgers!

Even better, the next morning I made pancakes, eggs and bacon for breakfast!! Do you even KNOW what Disney charges for food?? We were saving a ton even if the cabin was a little more than an "economy" room.  The cabin offered a private area. My mom could walk right in from the car without walking a mile to one of the million rooms. The kids could make all the noise they wanted - no one under us - no one below us. Can you tell I loved them??

On Tuesday we hit up Magic Kingdom - after that yummy breakfast. For lunch, I had scheduled reservations at the Crystal Palace. I chose this because of the offerings of vegetarian fare that various Disney web sites said that they had.  Crystal Palace is NOT cheap. BUT... since we didn't dine out for breakfast, we had one big lunch. It was a buffet. It was an awesome buffet. Most of what I had was vegetarian. I loved the ratatouille. I loved the broccoli. The mashed potatoes. Yum. By the time we were done it was 2pm and that was pretty much it for the day.

Know what the best thing was?? I didn't eat any of the junk that I usually do at Disney! Better yet?? I never felt weighed down or tired or bloated.

My point of this post is that I am clearly learning to eat better. No more junk, drive thrus, fries, burgers etc...  I crave fresh veggies now. I WANT organic food more. I need healthier stuff. I am looking forward to getting back and making my own stuff.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised (and hope!) that maybe perhaps I even lost a pound or two on this trip.

1 comment:

  1. That is really an amazing feat, Barbara. Seriously. Every time we go on a trip, even a day trip, we end up eating too much junk. The trip sounds wonderful and I think the cabin sounds like even more fun than a hotel.

    ReplyDelete