Friday, February 12, 2010

Apple Pickin'

As I've already mentioned, I'm more likely to eat fruit if it's sliced or chopped. It's easier on the chompers, the doofers. Unlike someone else who contributes to this blog, I happen to love cooked fruit. Pie, cobbler, crisp, you name it, I'll eat it.

I once used to live in the land of apples. Ok, maybe it was actually the 2nd or 3rd tier of apple-land in the U.S., but Wisconsin had varieties that I'd never heard of growing up in Florida: Empire, Northern Spy, Haralson, and my very favorite of all-time: Cortland. I picked my first apple on a date at Eplegarden, near Madison (Babs is also a fan of this place). 10 pounds of apples later (it's rather addictive), I had a fridge full of tasty fruit. The next question is "What the *#@$& do I do with all these *&@#^ apples?!".



Here's a quick and easy way to use up your apple stash: Baked Apples from Cooking Light (CL) Magazine.

It's so easy and tasty that I wonder why more people don't prepare apples this way, so try it. 5 minutes of prep, 20 minutes in the microwave - one bowl. The house smells amazing as it's cooking, and people from different rooms and floors will show up quickly, with sparkling eyes, looking for the source of the aroma. It happened to me.

Plus, this dish is an excellent source of fiber and vitamins. I usually dish up single servings (I'm talking LARGE single servings) and take into work as snacks. Or for breakfast, or for dessert. Consider using it atop cereal, oatmeal or yogurt, or adding whipped cream. The recipe calls for walnuts, but I love using pecans or whatever leftover nuts I have in the freezer. I haven't tried toasting the nuts before adding them, but that might be yummy. Also, I use whatever apples look good, not just Galas - and it's better to use a variety.

I still dream of picking apples in Wisconsin. It's nearly impossible to find a cortland in Colorado (unless I'm not looking hard enough). Sigh...

3 comments:

  1. Nothin's stopping you from coming apple picking with us. You know you want to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do. You know you want me to.

    ReplyDelete