Friday, February 12, 2010

Pizza - Argentine style

When we went to Argentina a few years ago, I was overcome by their amazingly delicious cuisine (and, of course, the cheap and fantastic wine). Argentina, to me, is the European hot-spot of South America. Minus the political corruption of late, the country is historically rich (both in culture and monetarily), and more similar to Italian customs than those of Spanish.

Local Italian food was especially tasty, the pizza in particular. I was utterly shocked. Argentine pizza is the absolute best I have ever tasted (I have not yet visited Italy - Naples - to try their version). Their pizza is very cheesy with a crust typically made from chickpea flour called Fainá.

The Argentinians have a unique spin on pizza - they add one egg to the center that cooks along with the rest (this could also be the case in Italy). At first glance it seemed a little unsavory. I didn't want an egg on my pizza, but I figured that I could eat around it. Then I decided to dive in and try a bite with the egg.

Oh My.

The white was cooked, of course, and the yolk wasn't hard -- maybe a medium-doneness. It was outstanding. No kidding! The buttery consistency of the yolk mixed with the cheesy sauce and crisp crust was perfect. It was heavenly. Who knew?

So tonight we decided on homemade pizza. My friend Kathryn made and froze pizza dough while she was house-sitting for us back in December. I used that crust along with leftover toppings we had in the fridge. I specifically bought buffalo mozzarella. It was good, although I slightly overcooked the egg. My only regret is that it could have used more cheese (naturally).

1 comment:

  1. Everything could use more cheese. This sounds interesting... if only I liked eggs over easy. Very unique though.

    ReplyDelete