Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Spicy Tortilla Soup

Like Babs, I had a hankerin' for hot peppers this week (or is it every week?). Tortilla soup is a favorite in our house. I usually make it with chicken, but this time I decided to try something different. It always amazes me how freakin' delicious vegetarian cooking can be. This tortilla soup is technically vegan since there's no cheese and I rarely use sour cream. It's a Rachel Ray recipe (30 minutes) and she really scored big with us using this Corn and Salsa Tortilla Soup recipe. I'm giving it my highest rating, which is something I do maybe once every couple of months. It's that good. What I'm saying is that I'm currently trying to type while soup dribbles are running down my chin.

First you start roasting the poblano peppers in the oven until black and crispy on all sides. While that's doing its thing, brown the corn and onion in oil in a soup pot. Add garlic, brown. Add tomatoes (fire roasted is the only way to go), veg broth, S&P, and let it simmer. Peel off the skin of the cooled peppers, dice and throw into the pot.


One of the best features of this dish is that you bake the tortillas with cumin. You don't even put seasoning (except for S & P) in the soup until it's done. Put the crispy tortilla strips in the soup, add cilantro and lime juice, and top with avocado (we tend to go overboard with the last 3 ingredients). This is really really really tasty. YAM!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds delcicious. I know my kids wouldn't eat it though. (You're going to be in trouble. You called her Babs.) haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's ok Carmen. There's one person in this world who can get away with it. (ok, perhaps 2, if I include my mom, which I do not want to encourage!) But Heather is the ONLY person who can do it and not be killed.

    And yes, it does sounds great. My kids won't eat it either, but that's ok. I can still make it... and I will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was at a chili party recently - that included about 10 kids - and each couple/family brought their favorite version of chili. We voted on them. Well, one version included fritos, so you can guess which of them won since the kids voted too. SO... I wonder, if you include crispy tortilla 'chips', will your kids be more likely to eat the soup?

    ReplyDelete