Monday, February 8, 2010

Roasted Red Pepper Sauce with Pasta

I sat down today to try and find a recipe that perhaps, maybe, possibly by some remote chance EVERYONE would like. I thought this would be the one.

Nope.

But, I tried something new & different and also tried a new skill that I hadn't used before. I did this. On purpose.


I roasted a red pepper. I had never done this before. Basically, I put the peppers under the broiler for about 10-15 mins and turned them every so often until the skin was black. Took them out, let them sit for a min or 2, then placed them in a ziploc bag for about 10 mins and peeled the charred skin right off. Then I threw them in my mini food processor and ended up with this good looking sauce :

 

I was following yet another recipe by Ree Drummond - The Pioneer Woman. She has some of the best recipes - not the healthiest recipes - but the tastiest. And of course her photography rocks. The recipe can be found here. Now, I have to admit that I didn't use cream. Perhaps I should have, but I didn't. It was very light and I think the cream would have made it heavier - you can decide for yourself if this would be a good thing or a bad thing. 

Oh, back to my success/failure rate. My son liked it at first. After eating it for a bit, he said he didn't. I think it's because it got cold. I am frugal and have the house set at low temps during the day (it was set at 65 this afternoon) so it did get a bit cool. I think for him, cream and a warm bowl would have held his interest. He can use the cream though. He's skin and bones. Me, not so much. My daughter.... shot down completely. She got a nice bowl of pasta with olive oil and parm. No extra meals here.

I probably won't make this again until I can get good fresh red peppers. This was good, but not incredible. It lacked that something special I think fresh produce could bring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment