Saturday, February 6, 2010

Hippie Food

I'm persistently on the hunt for quick, healthy snacks. For those who don't know me, I eat fairly constantly throughout the day. I have low blood sugar, which is always sneaking up, making me very very cranky. I didn't realize this until I was way into adulthood, which is too bad since I could have avoided many unpleasant situations. Therefore eating every couple of hours helps my head not to spin and quiets my inner bitch... for most things anyway. =)

A granola bar is a yummy and healthy way to elevate my blood sugar dips. There are endless recipes and variations, including: the marshmellow rice crispy type, the smooth peanut butter type, and my all-time favorite, the oatmeal dried fruit type. I don't need to spike my blood sugar, so less sugar is better.

Making your own granola, whether in cereal or bar form, is fun, makes the house smell incredible, cheap (usually), and very easy. Alton Brown makes a fine oat granola bar, but there are many ways to alter it. Here are the basics. Toast a combination of some or all of the following ingredients on a sheet pan in a 350' oven for 10-15 min, stirring often so it doesn't burn (do *NOT* let this stuff burn, so watch it carefully. Burn=Bitter=Bad):

  • 2-3 cups of oats (old fashioned works well)
  • wheat germ
  • seeds: sunflower, flax (very good for you, lots of omega-3's)
  • nuts: almond, pecan, walnut, whatever
  • dried coconut


On the stove, melt a combination of the following:
  • Sweetener/Sticky Stuff: Honey, maple syrup, brown sugar
  • oil or butter
  • flavoring such as: vanilla extract, orange oil, etc



Once toasted, mix with melted gooey-ness, and add:
  • dried fruit
  • more of whatever seems like a good idea



Mix and press into a large pan using parchment paper (or butter the pan to prevent sticking), and press down hard to meld together. Bake at 300' for 25 min or so - until golden brown. Cool for a couple of hours and cut into bars. Easy!

Pam came over today and we made this together in about 20 min (not including bake time. obviously.).

No comments:

Post a Comment