Thursday, February 4, 2010

Time Management

This month, I finally started working relatively "normal" hours (this means during the day). Up until now, I was working evenings and weekends and it really wasn't working for me. While this is great to have a real life - it's really messed my time management up.  I was used to getting my errands done during the day and spending the weekends having fun. Now that my days are occupied (which is a GREAT thing!), I am having trouble getting used to 'normal' family life. This means getting laundry done in a timely manner and the biggie - planning ahead for my meals. Don't worry. We didn't escape to dine out, but I have been struggling to make good decent food all while getting everyone from point A to point B and of course work. I realize to some of you this sounds silly, but after 10 years of being an "at home parent" and only working evenings and weekends, it's hard. Especially when doing it for 3 other people.

This week, I reverted to an old stand by. Something my mom used to make me when I was little. It's simple, it's easy and it's so so good.

Chicken & Yellow Rice.

Knowing that I needed enough for some leftovers and some to feed my vegetarian, I made 2 batches - one with chicken and one with yellow rice only. I use a package (one day I will make it from scratch with saffron!) from Vigo which is the very same thing my mom used. I make it a little different from the package - basically about 50% more water plus LOTS of garlic and a little olive oil. Cook for about 45 mins. For the chicken, I usually use skinless chicken thighs. Breasts will dry out too much in the oven for 45 min. I also like to finish with some peas, preferably LeSueur.

I had enough leftovers for lunch the next day, which was perfect.

Next week, I am hoping to plan things out a little bit better.

1 comment:

  1. My dad used to make "shrimp rice" with this exact rice. I think all he did was cook the rice and shrimp together and my brother and I loved it. I need to make this. My kids would love it too. Thanks for the reminder. And those peas are the only kind I like. All the others are too big.

    ReplyDelete