Friday, February 12, 2010

"I wish it was summer" salad!

Here's one of my most favorite recipes to make in the summer. I make this as a side dish, to take to picnics or just to snack on. It's very very yummy.  I happened to have all the ingredients so I decided why not. Just because it's February, I can have a summer salad!  For Christmas I got an Aerogarden and I have a TON of fresh basil. I really like the garden it so far and I love having fresh, clean herbs to use whenever I need them.

I got this recipe from some magazine a few years ago. I don't remember which one though!

Corn Basil & Orzo Salad

1/2 med. red onion
1/4 cup white wine vinegar (I usually use rice vinegar - I think it tastes better)
2 tsp kosher salt
3/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
6-8 ears of fresh corn
8 oz of Orzo (small, rice like pasta)
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium red bell pepper diced
1 1/2 cups fresh basil

Combine the onion, vinegar, salt & pepper. Let stand for about 15 mins.

Prepare the corn. Cut the kernels off, but not too deep. You should have about 5 cups

Cook the orzo for about 8 minutes and add the corn. Cook until the water return to a boil for about 1-3 minutes. Drain & rinse with cold water

Whisk oil into vinegar & onion mixture. Add orzo, corn bell pepper and basil. Toss until combined. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

2 comments:

  1. Orzo is Rob's favorite. I'm sure that I've made this before - looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great. I made the mistake of using red wine vinegar and it wasn't the same. I really like it with Rice Vinegar.

    ReplyDelete