Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Goin' Green

I really love making soups and stews. I enjoy the one pot / one meal technique: it's less to worry about (sync multiple dishes so they're all ready at the same time), and less to clean up (Rob is especially thankful for that). Warm hearty soup, a glass of wine and some good tunes are all I need after a chilly ride home and long day at work.

This is one of Rachel Ray's 30-min recipes: Kal-iflower Stoup. It's healthy and vegetarian (except for the chicken broth, which could, of course, be substituted for veg broth). I really want to like Rachel Ray. I like her TV show (I'm referring to the 30-min meal show, not her daytime one), and I appreciate the short-on-time approach. However, her recipes are hit and miss with me. Some are delicious and some just suck. This dish gets more like a 4-star rating. I love that it's healthy - and let's be honest -- we're talking about KALE. How good can kale really be? So, she did well considering it includes 2 bunches of bitter chewy kale.

Kale. I only love kale for one reason: it's a superfood. It's so healthy that it makes me a better person just putting it in the shopping cart. It's in that awesome-good-for-you Brassica family (e.g., brussels spouts, broccoli), and that group has claimed to ward off cancer. Let's face it - that family needs to bring something to the table other than turned up noses. Warding off cancer and providing a plethora of vitimins (it's an excellent source of iron and calcium), and antioxidants, are pretty good reasons. Plus, it's very pretty in the garden. So I'm slowly learning to enjoy kale.

3 comments:

  1. This looks SO good. I love kale. I think this might be a good thing to make soon. I love her French Onion Soup. I think that's coming up on Friday. I wonder if I can get Blake to eat this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babs, if you love kale, boy do I have a great recipe for ya. I'll forward it this weekend (or make it soon!).

    ReplyDelete