Monday, February 22, 2010

Here little fishy fish...

Every now and then (i.e., at least 4 times a week) I have a hankerin' for some tasty seafood. I'm certain that I would be OK with eating crab legs or shrimp nearly everyday if I could afford it. Mmmm yummy crustaceans... AND it turns out that shellfish is not actually high in cholesterol as the docs once warned us. Anyone that has picked up the newspaper or watched TV in the past decade knows how salmon provides those healthy Omega-3s and good cholesterol. Well, that's a real good thing since the recipe that follows has enough butter to counteract any thoughts of a super-healthy meal. Whew.

Last night I made Slow-Roasted Salmon with Potatoes from Food Network magazine. Holy smokes - it was so tasty that Rob snagged the rest of the leftovers for lunch today (he's not that into food). And do you know why it might be so delicious? BUTTER. 4 tablespoons of it goes into a very tasty 'herb-butter-sauce' (see green topping in above photo) that really makes this dish rate high. The rest of the fat comes from healthy olive oil (to roast the leeks and salmon). The filet cut of salmon was not particularly thick (1/4 inch), so I was a little concerned about it drying out too quickly. Therefore I only cooked it for the minimum time -- 30 minutes. I don't know if it was the low temperature, the olive oil, or the steam from the leeks, but the salmon was very juicy.

Besides the salmon, there were fingerling potatoes. I'm sure that the little red potatoes would be a fine substitute, but I love the cuteness of fingerlings (and some are blue - very cool). Some of the buttery goodness is mixed with the boiled potatoes... oh yeah. The other star of this meal are the roasted leeks. You roast them for ~30 minutes and then add the salmon to the top at a lower temp. Roasted *anything* is pretty amazing if you add olive oil and salt... even brussels sprouts... but that's for another entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment