Saturday, February 13, 2010

Thinking Different

So yesterday I watched the TED Talk with Jamie Oliver. It made me think. Lots. I talked to the kids about which milk they get at school. They usually get chocolate. Blake is in 4th grade so he will make his own choice, but I talked to both of them and encouraged them to possibly make different choices. The main problem with "changing" is that the man who brings the milk break milk to the kids room basically finds out what they want at the beginning and then bring the same thing. Every day. For 180 days. It doesn't seem to me that they can change. Perhaps that's where I can put some of the talk to into play and find out if they really have trouble changing, or if this is a myth. If they truly cannot change their choice, they should be able to.

Yesterday was the kids "Valentine Carnival". Typically, they would serve pizza at the carnival, but this year - no pizza. So, I decided to go ahead and "treat" the kids to pizza. After watching the TED talk, I realized it wasn't a treat and I just couldn't do it. I went to the fridge, pulled out some left over veggies and cooked them up. This is what I ended up with.  It was good. The kids ate a smaller portion, paired with some string cheese. Not bad.



Tonight, I cooked completely from scratch.  I made The Pioneer Woman's Chicken & Noodles. (I know, enough about The Pioneer Woman, right?!). She had it on her blog earlier in the week (or last week, I am not sure when) and I just HAD to make it. I even made my noodles from scratch! Seriously. I made pasta from scratch long ago, and hadn't done it recently. I am so glad I did. This is not something my vegetarian would eat of course, so I didn't cook some of the noodles in the chicken broth, and simply boiled them and coated them with some of my simple pesto sauce (3 cubes of frozen garlic, 3 cubes of frozen basil + a little olive oil. The cubes come from Trader Joe's and they are GREAT!). He also got some carrots - the same ones that I put in my soup - roasted up. Similar food, but vegetarian friendly. It came out great. I love love loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment